News and Announcements


In the BC Summer Swimming Association, the season has traditional started on May 1st. This year, we know that we will not have pools available for our athletes and indeed, we do not know when pools will become available. To that end, the BCSSA is developing alternatives for our athletes. ..

Please read the attached letter from Board President Danny Schilds on behalf of the Board of Directors for more details about this upcoming season and the plans we are working on.

The document April_16_2020_-_Letter_from_President-Board.pdf was attached to this post.


Message coming in from Swim BC:

Hi Everyone,

I hope everyone is staying safe and healthy during these unprecedented times.

Swim BC is trying to create ways for everyone to keep moving forward while obeying the Public Health Order, one is to offer the Swimming 101 course through a virtual (online) presentation.

If you have any swimmers/coaches that are interested in taking the course, please send them this link to register. (online in BC – is the specific course, May 1-3)

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Carrie Matheson
Senior Manager – Technical Operations | Swim BC | office: 778.430.9100 | cell: 604.379.6230 |


We know that this has been a difficult time for clubs and coaches in this time of uncertainty.

The BCSSA Treasurer has put together a resource to help guide clubs and paid staff with information on the financial options provided out there.

Please follow the link below to access the PDF with this information on it.

The document Coach_EI_Information.pdf was attached to this post.

Update from the BCSSA Board of Directors

Posted by Kat Coatesworth at Apr 4, 2020 11:55AM PDT ( 0 Comments )

Update from our Board of Directors:

The BCCSA Board met on April 2 and discussed the upcoming season, including actions that we can initiate and what the season could look like.
The Board has committed to meet weekly so we can stay abreast of this constantly changing situation.

We are waiting for information to come back to us but in the meantime we can tell you that we will not be holding a traditional competitive championship meet at UBC this year.

We will be distributing information to all clubs and coaches to help them make decisions about supporting our coaches this season. We are also investigating and planning an online program of dry land activities that our athletes can take part in while we await permission to get back in the water.

We expect to receive the information we need to make some more decisions by mid week and will distribute a newsletter to all members at that time.

Yours in swimming,
Danny Schilds
President, BCSSA


Covid-19 Update for March 27, 2020

Physical Distance – Avoid Contact with Others
Stay Home – Stay Fit at Home

The BC Summer Swimming Association staff and Board of Directors want to THANK all the BCSSA swimmers, parents, coaches, officials and clubs for their efforts to be vigilant and help in reducing the spread of COVID-19 and protecting each other. Your feedback, suggestions, and recommendations are greatly appreciated and help us in addressing the challenges we all face as we navigate the current situation and provide information to all members.

The Board met on March 26 and discussed the ever changing world we find ourselves in at the moment. We will continue to meet on a weekly basis to review the situation and make decisions regarding our swim season, meets, championships, and more.

We are hopeful that this summer swimming season will proceed in a regular manner but are also mindful of the rapidly changing global situation we find ourselves in and know that we must consider all the possible outcomes.

We will continue to meet weekly and will communicate with membership on Fridays. You can look for updates from us on April 3, 10, and 17.

Summer Season 2020 – Timelines and decisions

BCSSA recognizes that clubs and members are anxious to have confirmation on our 2020 Summer swimming season sooner rather than later. In our current fluid global environment, these decisions with their long-term financial ramifications are difficult to make and, as such, we have determined key dates on which to make strategic planning decisions.

April 2, 9, 16: Planned Special Board meetings to review Covid-19 scenarios (each to be confirmed at each previous meeting);
April 3, 10, 17: Communication to membership regarding outcomes of meetings.

Deadlines for the BCSSA Board regarding this season
April 15: Decision deadline for traditional May 1 season start date
May 1: Decision deadline for initiating a modified 2020 summer swimming season with a traditional Provincial Championships held at UBC.
May 15: Decision deadline for initiating a modified 2020 summer swimming season with a simulated Provincial Championships run Regionally.

Please know that, despite our best efforts and continual monitoring of information sources, nothing is set in stone due to this rapidly changing situation… we are doing the best we can to predict an unknown future!

Please exercise patience and kindness as we move forward together (yet apart!)

More information can be found on the BCSSA release